Last Updated on
When you run your car on the road it produces so much heat that it needs a specific cooling system to cool it down continuously to avoid any damage. If your engine does not run smoothly due to overheating you will not get the optimum performance from your motor vehicle. So it is important to know the cooling systems before you can actually decide which one you want to buy. There are mainly two types of cooling systems available based on the cooling method employed.
- Engine Oil Cooler System: This system is also known as the transmission oil cooler. It uses engine oil as a coolant for cooling down the automobile’s internal combustion engine such as the crankshaft, connecting rod, pistons, bearings, etc.
- Radiator Cooling System: Through this system, the heat around the combustion chamber, cylinders, and other internal manifolds are removed.
Engine oil cooling system also helps to maintain the lubrication of various engine parts. Nevertheless, when the temperature goes up to 220°F, the radiator coolant comes into play yet the oil cooling still serves its secondary purpose which is lubrication.
Table of Content
- 1 Types of Engine Oil Coolers
- 2 In-Depth Review of 5 Best Transmission Oil Cooler
- 3 Conclusion
Types of Engine Oil Coolers
The engine oil coolers are arranged into two basic types described below.
Tube and Fin style Engine Oil Coolers
The Tube and Fin style oil coolers are arranged in a way that the oil has to circulate them through the cooler lines. Once the oil is released, the heat is taken up by the tubes and then gets released to the fins as they are located externally to be exposed to air that blows around and consumes the engine heat.
You will see in the other ordinary coolers that the oil is touching the walls of the tube that fastens the cooling process but also formulates an insulation layer. This insulation layer creates obstacles for the remaining oil that is not in contact with the tube’s walls. As a result, the cooling is not uniform and it remains at a high temperature which badly affects the efficiency of the system.
Although to increase the efficiency of the system some modifications are done like fitting the agitator in the tube that helps to prevent any insulation to form, as a result, the oil flow improves thus improving the efficiency.
Stacked-plate Engine Oil Coolers
The Stacked-plate engine cooling system is not considered as effective as the Tube-Fin types coolers that we just mentioned. In this system, a stack form is created with the plates so that the placed oil can undergo it thus removing the heat from the machine as the air voids these plates. The air moves slowly bit by bit making the process slow and comparatively inefficient.
But again to improve the efficiency some modifications are applied to the engine cooling systems that include:
- Expanding the surface area of the tubes and lines like the Tube-Fin style coolers.
- Using lightweight materials like aluminum
- Trying different designs for oil coolers.
You can find various engine oil coolers available in the market. But before getting into any further discussion we would be happily informing you that we have eased up things for you. We, Best Oil Cooler team, would like to introduce you with our 5 best picks for transmission/engine oil cooler.
In-Depth Review of 5 Best Transmission Oil Cooler
Hayden Automotive 678 Rapid-Cool Plate and Fin Transmission Cooler
Hayden Automotive 678 Transmission Cooler does absolute justice to Plate-Fin Heat Exchanger’s reputation of quickly removing heat. After installing this cooler, the patented internal turbulation largely boosts the heat transfer process.
Hayden Automotive 678 is also one of the best options that is easy to mount. Some of the vehicle owners find it difficult to install while collecting various models. It comes with the brackets having a pre-drilled mounting that makes things a lot easier. Additionally, it has a wide range of usability that covers the transmission of different vehicles such as trucks, pickups, class “C” motorhomes, vans and the list goes on and on!
- Suitable for almost all the automobile models
- The brackets with pre-drilled mounting allow a very comfortable installation
- The Plate-Fin style makes the heat release process pretty faster
- It includes the hose and mounting hardware
- The fluids can leak out through the fins
- You may find the hose included with the system is much shorter than desired
B&M 70268 SuperCooler Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler
B&M 70268 SuperCooler Automatic Transmission Cooler features a ground-breaking stacked-plate design that possesses several oil flow paths which are more than enough for keeping your vehicle’s transmission cooler. Its extraordinary firm design also aids to minimize the possibility of any lube system failure that keeps your journey safe and sound.
This cooler is created with the black-finished lightweight aluminum alloy that almost eliminates the chance of getting affected by oxidation. Due to its perfect size and weight, you can always keep the temperature under control regardless of how much distance you cover.
It outclasses the usual Fin and Tube coolers when it comes to the impairing particles. And to give you the best user experience, it comes in a complete package with all necessary tools to ease its mounting process, right at your doorsteps.
- It offers absolutely vibration free performance for its oven-brazed construction
- The aluminum alloy with black finish extends its longevity by protecting it from getting rusted.
- It comes with the complete installation kit
- To boost user confidence it comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty
- You may find it difficult to install without proper parts and fittings
- The plates consist uneven built
Dorman 918-216 Transmission Oil Cooler
If you think you are not sure about the mechanical issues of your car and getting confused about choosing the right transmission cooler, which is pretty normal because you will find many options available on the market and out of them, all are not suitable for your vehicle. In this case, you can rely on the leading aftermarket brand Dorman. Their 918-216 Transmission Oil Cooler, manufactured with solid aluminum is probably one the best oil cooler kits to get your job done.
This is a great transmission oil cooler unlike the usual ones that deteriorate with time and you will not regret investing in it anyway. This 15.9 lbs cooler is the product of some excellent thoughts. This is a powerful cooler with the extremely abrasion-proof feature. It also comes with the following benefits.
- Highly resistive to corrosion
- The ongoing performance is uninterrupted for it solid aluminum construction
- Resists overheating by checking any accidental fluid leakage
Four Seasons 53007 Transmission Oil Cooler
At Number 4 in the list, we have the Four Seasons 53007 Transmission Cooler. It is a universal cooler kit suitable for any automobile regardless of brands or models. However, before the cooler gets into action it will have to adapt the lines and also the fittings.
It comes with some supplementary kits to ease the installation process, these are rubber tubing, hose clamps, and radiator pull-tabs. However, you can install it by yourself by watching video tutorials but in case you find it confusing or you run out of time to mount the cooler yourself, you may take the help of a professional automotive technician to do the job for you. This transmission cooler works perfectly for light and medium applications.
- Universal cooler kit suitable for almost all vehicles
- Easy installation
- Comes in a full package with all the essential kits
- Not suitable for heavier duty applications
Derale 13504 Series 8000 Plate and Fin Transmission Oil Cooler
Finally, we have the Derale 13504 Transmission Cooler that offers a bundle of features and deservingly makes it to the top 5 list. Firstly, we will talk about its aluminum construction which you may have seen for the other ones in the list as well, but what makes it different is that it has a furnace-brazed aluminum structure that triggers a much better endurance and robustness. This is also another easy to install oil cooler that has hardware inclusion with it. Another great thing about this is that it includes embossed turbulators sized ¾ inch, and that size really stimulates the liquid for a maximum heat transferring rate. Users also find it very much useful for its excellent capability of reducing pressure drop.
The 13504 deserves to be appreciated for some other features as well. One of such praised attribute is its projected plastic made fin guards. It can really give you a crystal clear idea about how effective this transmission cooler is compared to the tube-fin style coolers. If you are in search of a cooler that offers a great value for its price and is as efficient as the pricier ones, then you would rather end your quest with the Derale 13504 Oil Cooler. It is suitable for all kinds of vehicles and can handle medium and slightly heavier applications.
- Solid build construction for vehicles weighing up to 22,500 GVW
- The width is of the plates are around 7”/8” that increased width improves the efficiency of the unit
- The pressure drop is decreased tremendously due to the embossed turbulators that convey a massive amount of heat
- You may find the hose that is included with to be defective and may hinder the consistent performance
We hope you find this article helpful for your search and research for the best transmission oil cooler. The expert reviews should have painted a clear picture of the best oil cooler kits leaving you with no real confusion. However, if there is still any confusion crossing your mind, feel free to leave us a message and we promise to get back to you in no time.